What week is it? What day is it? I don’t even know anymore. Everything is nuts.
Week 9 Dad came over for a few hours in the morning before his flight to Mumbai. He was called over there for work and will be gone until mid-summer when I am in Alaska, so this was our last chunk of time on the house. I REALLY wanted to get my door installed, so we worked on that. Picked up some primed white board and house wrap at Lowe’s. The door frame I’d built was pretty wonky and out of square, and also too wide as I was expecting a 32″ door and got 29 7/8″, but we (Dad) figured it out and marked the floor and header. I’ll need pretty big shims on one side and just a few on the other.
But we couldn’t install the jamb and hang the door as I’d hoped. I’m learning that no matter what task I’m engaged in, there is always going to be 247909 other things that need to be done before I can finish the task.
Like first we had to put on the housewrap. But first we had to push the tarp up onto the roof. Uncle Jack showed up and they went for it.
We were able to use an unbroken piece of 9′ housewrap around the entire perimeter, overlapping one corner by a few feet.
Dad and Uncle Jack left and I don’t know what I did the rest of that day. Went to dinner with someone? Who knows. I’m a mess.
In the morning we had Mother’s Day lunch with Grandma and some of the family, and then I carried out the unpleasant task of sticking more nails into the roof sheathing where I hadn’t finished. Nothing like doing a grueling and annoying task when you’ve already mentally moved on from it so there is no psychological reward of seeing something new take shape on your house.
I climbed up on the peak of the roof and scooted the ridgeline backwards, stapling down bug mesh over the gap at the peak and getting some more of those pesky nails into the sheathing.
At some point I also attached 1.5″x6″ pieces of OSB on the top of the walls at each roof joist. The fascia gets nailed to those, creating a 1/2″ air channel behind it that runs up to the 1/2″ gap over the roof insulation and out the ridge.
Then I set to framing the first gable end window, which meant I had to reattach some of the scaffolding underneath, and I discovered I couldn’t maneuver one of the 2×4’s that was cut to the width of the house up at the front end anymore, because with all the sheathing it was too wide to fit over the window headers. This was worrisome because I need to attach the loft joists permanently at some point. I’m hoping to do this once the window openings are cut and before they are installed, or else I dunno what will be done. I’ve literally woken up in the middle of the night multiple times the last few weeks worrying about this.
Since the gable end framing is perpendicular to the 2×6 roof joist at the end of the wall, first I cut another 2×6 joist and a piece of 7/16″ OSB for filler, and doubled up the joist so it would be 3.5″ thick, the width of the 2×4 framing that would be going underneath. I facenailed the OSB to the outside joist with some roofing nails, then attached the new inside joist with regular long nails. The nail gun pooped out a few weeks ago so this was all manual, and my elbow is reminding me of this every day. I wasn’t as careful as I should have been to make sure the bottom edge of the new joist was flush with its mate, which came back to bite me in the ass later when I went to nail in the window framing. I had to use little shims between the joist that wouldn’t meet the 2×4 framing. Also my toe-nailing sucks. That gable end looks like shit. But it works. BUT before I could attach anything I had to learn to cut angles on the chop saw. I didn’t know about this though, and I thought I had to use a sawzall for some reason and it was fairly late Sunday evening and I was tired and hungry and shouldn’t have been working anymore but I just wanted to get something visible DONE so I went to get the sawzall, tried to jump over the retaining wall below the garage and my toe caught. I went face first into the gravel and my thigh slammed into the wall and I scraped all the skin off my palm. I took this as a sign that I should NOT use a saw and instead go to bed, and I did.
In the morning I figured out the angles on the chop saw (41 degrees!) and got my framing cut out and attached. I measured the window and got the centerpoint mostly even with the center of my wall. I kept the window up on the scaffolding with me and kept checking to make sure it fit. I put a couple extra pieces of 2×4 between the outside of the window and the outside joist to nail sheathing into. This wall doesn’t support any weight but I doubled up the header anyway for my own peace of mind.
I didn’t have any more full pieces of OSB, so I gathered 4 of the pieces I’d cut from the end of the roof sheathing and lined them up, then drew out the rise and the run of the gable end, drew in the ridgepole at the top, and cut the pieces out with a skilsaw and a jigsaw. Then hauled them up and down the ladder testing the fit a million times until I got it sort of right. Then I traced them onto another set of OSB in a cleaner way (for the other side of the house), then traced them onto a piece of Tyvek housewrap, then hammered them into the framing. This was a huge MFPITA.
But BOOM! Almost fully sheathed and wrapped.
I covered her up again for the forecasted rain, and headed up to Mount Vernon for what I thought would be my second-to-last week at work but was my last. More on that later.