Wild Rose Tiny House

Tiny House Build Week 10- leaving Mount Vernon, eaves, tarpaper, skylight

I intended to keep working at Domino’s until May 21st, but my truck started lurching while I was driving on the 13th and when I investigated and found that it could be the timing belt or the transmission, I parked the truck.  Not messing around with that stuff, not for a few extra dollars.  I told the pizza place that I had to be done as of Friday and borrowed a vehicle from Grandma for the last two days.  I decided to move out of Grandma’s Saturday when I went to Monroe, which meant a whole unexpected week off work and at the build site.  Yes!!  Gonna miss these fools though:


Packing and cleaning and moving on top of everything else was not awesome.  But it got done.  Thanks to tiny house prep I don’t have much stuff.  At some point in that week, or maybe it was the one before… I ordered metal roofing by Champion Metal from Chinook Lumber.  I also ordered a Fakro roof window from Home Depot.  Total cost for both was around $1500, split down the middle between the two.  It was agonizing deciding on a skylight.  I REALLY wanted the roof window but the total cost with flashing was more than all my other windows combined.  But a regular vented skylight would only have been $200 less, and since heat rises and I’ll have such a tiny space and a woodstove, I definitely wanted an opening skylight in the sleeping loft.  Mom donated some $$ and that helped sway the decision.  I had to call Fakro to get advice on ordering the correct flashing kit… they sell two, one for flat roofing materials like shingles and one for high profile materials like metal panels.  Ordering the metal roof was not very fun either, but I made a final decision on color, panel lengths, underlayment and trim pieces finally and just got it over with.

I also had to decide on what type/size fascia to use, because that would contribute to calculations for the roof panels.  This was also agonizing.  I am so terrified of making the wrong decision on something and having to live with the consequences later, but besides emailing Dad and watching Youtube videos, I’m pretty much stuck just making a mostly uneducated choice and dealing with the consequences.  Besides decision paralysis, I am also close to tapped out financially, so it all had to be juggled carefully.  Writing all this out I am realizing that the last two weeks really did objectively SUCK.  It didn’t just feel that way. I finally decided on 1×8 cedar fascia.  Ordered those from Chinook also and my Mom and stepdad picked up all the roofing and fascia for me at the end of week 10.  Rob at Chinook recommended that instead of buying vented felt roof closure strips, I go DIY (and free) and just bend the top of my metal panels up underneath the ridgecap, maintaining my air flow and also blocking out any wind-driven rain from squeezing underneath the ridgecap and dripping down into the insulation through the gap I left at the peak.  It is making me tired even to write all of this, so I’ll leave it at that and take pictures when it actually gets done.

Saturday morning of week 10 I ran down the hill to pick up a last few things and then I had pretty much all the materials needed to finish the skylight, framing and metal roof on hand, and all of my belongings stowed away in the bunkhouse, and no job to go to for a few weeks, and 3 helpers with willing hands.  Yes!  Made the last few weeks of stress worthwhile.  Haley got started waterproofing the fascia boards, Melissa got to work finishing the scaffolding under the second gable end, and Uncle Jack and I started unpacking the skylight and figuring out how it works.


The skylight is a complicated piece of equipment and very important to get the flashing done right.  It came with a handy little template for cutting the rough opening, though.  Uncle Jack and I figured out from the inside where the skylight would go, held the template up and drilled holes at all 4 corners.  Then we used the holes as a guide to trace out the rough opening on the outside sheathing panel, then I climbed up with a jigsaw and cut the opening.  This was not my favorite task.  We had nailed up some pieces of blocking at the top and bottom of the roof and I tried balancing on those but it was way too unstable.  My stepdad is a painting contractor and there are ladders all over the place so I finally got settled with one foot on the blocking and one foot on the top of an extension ladder and then it was easy.

saw + ladder= :(
saw + ladder= 😦

We got as far as fitting the frame of the skylight into the rough opening and then realized that next, we needed to attach the tarpaper to the roof sheathing before we could flash the skylight for waterproofing.  But first I needed to finish building out the 12″ eaves on the front and back of the trailer, and to do that I needed to attach the fascia boards and also sheath and apply housewrap to the second gable end, and to do that I had to frame the window.  I really wanted to finish the skylight and really didn’t want to do any of the other tasks, but it is what it is.  The eaves required two pieces of 2×4 cut to fit between the ridgepole and the fascia board on each side, so Uncle Jack and I cut one 2×4 at the 41 degree angle and then by holding it up to the edge of the roof got it marked off where the OSB furring strips ended, and then measured, cut, measured again, cut, etc etc the other 7 pieces (4 to attach to the ends of the wall on each side, and 4 to attach to the inside of the gable end fascia).  Melissa and Haley had gotten the gable end window started before they had to leave, so I finished framing the window while Uncle Jack attached the 2x4s to the finished gable end.  Auntie Mary came over after work and took some pictures.


DSC_0090 DSC_0111

We all went and had dinner and I almost fell asleep with my head on the table.

But look!  Pretty window frame (and so much easier on this end now that I knew how to do it):


Cap’n Fingers is leaving for Bristol Bay this week, so he came over Sunday to help and collect all of his tools from the build site.

Bitchin' Camaro!
Bitchin’ Camaro!

I got the second gable end sheathed and covered with housewrap before he got there, and then we put up the fascia and finished the eaves.  I’d ordered two 12′ and two 10′ pieces of cedar for the long walls, but they didn’t quite come out to 22′ so Fingers cut down each end of the ridgepole to match.  They’re about 11″ on each side.  This will be good in the long run because I have 22′ of roofing panels and you’re supposed to overhang by an inch.


We attached the 2×4 to the wall of the second gable end, then figured out the length from the inside of that 2×4 to the inside of the outside 2×4… if that makes sense.  Cut 6 pieces of blocking for each side and toenailed them into the wall end 2×4.  Then attached the second piece of 2×4 to the blocking pieces and the fascia to the outside of that.  I didn’t take many pictures as it was only the two of us and we were up on the ladders sweating our faces off and hammering.

I guess you can sort of see what’s going on here. Aren’t we adorable?
I'm not sure why my face looks like that, but I was hot as F and my arms were probably sore as they are every second of always these days
I’m not sure why my face looks like that, but I was hot as F and my arms were probably sore as they are every second of always these days

Then we measured and cut pieces of OSB to finish off the sheathing on top of the eaves.  One of the sides was all wonky and sticking up 1/2″, so we (Fingers) had to remove all the nails and bang it down into place.  But we got the sheathing up and those eaves look beautiful if I do say so myself.

IMG_20150518_163131 (1)

We got done at 7:30 p.m. and I spent an hour cooking and then two hours cleaning and organizing the bunkhouse where I’ll be living until the house is done.  I don’t understand where I am getting all of this energy and stamina but I am certainly grateful for it.

Monday, which was yesterday (and also the start of Week 11 but who cares), I woke up with body aches and the sniffles and considered staying in bed all day, but Uncle Jack showed up at 9:30 a.m. and got me out of bed to put the tarpaper on the roof.  We cut 4 pieces a few inches longer than 22′ and rolled them out on the roof, attaching them with staples and small roofing nails when the stapler stopped working.  I saw the Tiny Nest folks used nails with wide plastic caps and wondered why, but saw that the tarpaper ripped out from underneath the nails pretty easily and would use plastic caps if I did it over again but it’ll do as it is.  For the uppermost layer (always layer from the bottom up for water shedding) Uncle Jack scooted the ridge and I went along the outside with the ladder and held the roll.  It was quite an easy task, for once.  20150518_112936

We got out the flashing kit for the skylight and figured out the close to incomprehensible, cartoon illustrated instructions for waterproofing the thing, then Uncle Jack had to go.  I spent an infuriating afternoon trying to track down a screw gun which my metal roofing instruction pamphlet claims I need.  My conversation with the tool rental guy at Home Depot in Everett went like this:

Me: I need a screw gun

HD guy: you mean a drill? (with patronizing voice like talking to a toddler)

Me: No, a screw gun.  For metal roofing

HD guy: pause, then speaking very slowly… Are you calling for someone else who needs this?

Me, head imploding: pause…. NO.  I need it for ME

HD guy, still speaking slowly: Do you need a hammer maybe?


We established that they didn’t have a screw gun, then through various emails and texts with the guy who sold me the panels and my stepdad and also google and youtube, figured out I can use a regular drill with a nut driver.  I applied silicone caulking around the outside perimeter of my skylight frame and then Mom and I covered the house with a tarp as big grey clouds started to move in from the east.


I painted the outside of my fascia with waterproof stain and then left the caulk and stain to dry under the tarp.  Went back later and applied flashing tape to the outside of the skylight frame and then gave up for the evening.  I’m hoping to at least get the eave trim and the panels around the skylight applied tomorrow as well as getting the skylight finished.  Hopefully get the whole roof done before I leave for Portland Friday but I know better by now than to assume that will happen.


Total cost to date: $9600 (this includes all the windows which aren’t installed yet)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s